Camilla Flintermann wrote:

> Friends--I'm posting this to the main list rather than CARE in the hope someone
> can shed light from personal experiences.
> Yesterday Peter had to have an energency extraction of a broken tooth. The
> oral surgeon and staff were most accommodating, sensitive to his needs, etc.
> and the procedure went well, at 8:00 AM. We were home by 10:00AM, and as
> he was still dopey from the anesthetic he slept off and on all day and evening-
> -he did take his Sinemet 10/100 every 2 hours as usual,but no extra doses.
> He was also on a crash dose (7 AM and 1PM)of Amoxycillin antibio., as he has
> mitral valve prolapse, and this is required before any oral surgery.
> He was a bit spacey off and on yesterday, due to the anesthetic--and po
> also the stress of the situation.  This AM he woke feeling quite normal, took
> 10/100at 6 AM,8AM, 9:45 (before I left for church) and seemed fine. When
> I returned home about 11:30,in time for his next dose, he was in trouble,
> said his legs weren't working, couldn't stand to get out of his chair in living
>  room.....I gave him the next 10/100 early, at 11:45, dealt with other
> problems, and a half hour later he still was too wobbly to stand with my help.
> I recalled that this was how he was the time he had to wait for the doc to
> discharge him from a day of hospital observation, as the stress of waiting till
> 9:30PM for the doc really got to him.  On the theory that the stress level may
> (like hard exercise has been said to do) cause the Sinemet to not work as well,
>  be used up faster, whatever, I persuaded him to take another 10/100 at 12:15,
> then sat quietly, played soft music, talked reassuringly. Within a half
> hour, he was able to get up and get from the living room to the bathroom with
> my help,legs functioning OK!
> Here's my question--could it be that stress levels affecthehe way t
> Sinemet is used by the body---so that in a highly stressful situation one
> might be *undermedicated* even with normal doses?  I should add that Peter has
> never had dyskinesia, nor does he have more than very minor resting tremor of
> hand when eating. His main problems are bradykinesis,bradyphrenia,and
> rigidity. (Plus others too numerous to mention!)
> If it seems this is a reasonable deduction from our experience, I can be
> prepared to ask neuro to increase his doses during the stressful time when I
> will be having surgery in April, and he has chosen to spend three days time in
> a local NH, rather than try to cover(for that short time)24 hrs. a day here at
> home. Any light that anyone can shed on this subject will be very welcome!
>
> Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
> *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
> "Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"
> *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
HI Camilla, I've enjoyed reading your informative notes for a while.  I
am a young onset pd'r age 39 (yesterday) I seem to notice that when I am
doing my landscaping work, my body doesnt react as well to the sinemet,
Now let me explain when I an landscaping its in the 90 degree sun and i
am hauling rocks around, digging and other types of physical labor.
After about 3 hours I get clumsy, start tripping over things and
generally on the road to an accident (a fall or whatever)  I drink
plenty of water and gaterade, but i do think that it does something to
wear off the drugs quicker.  I dont know if this relates to you at all

lisa in paradise