Hello, all.  I've been reading all the communications on the list, but I
haven't written anything for a long time because I've been trying to deal
with the Nursing Home admission of my husband, Dave, since January.   After
he was hospitalized for 2 weeks from a psychotic reaction to zyprexa,  I came
to the conclusion that I could no longer manage at home without help around
the clock.  If he fell, I was unable to pick him up by myself.  I could not
leave him alone at all.  Since I have a job and for various other reasons, my
only solution was the nursing home.  We had more or less expected this --
Dave has had Parkinsons since 1972 -- and knew this might ultimately be where
he would find himself.

I can only tell you it is one of the most painful decisions I have ever made.
 (As Bob Howard will attest).  I had the complete support of my 3 children
and their spouses -- in fact of all my friends and acquaintances,  also --
all of whom told me they don't know how I managed with him as long as I did.
 But as all of YOU know, you just DO!

It's been very painful for both of us; we're BOTH lonely and sad.  But Dave
has improved.  His mobility is better, the hallucinations are benign, his
paranoia is lessened and there is someone around to meet his needs.  I can't
say he's happy, but I feel he is getting good care.  My children and friends
visit him whenever they can and we try to take him out for rides and to
restaurants on occasion.  I know that it was time.

I, too, was confused by someone who referred to "the final stages" of
Parkinsons.  I would like to know what they are.  Since this is a "designer"
disease, as someone said, each patient seems to have different symptoms and
reactions to the medications and deteriorates at a different rate.   Dave
really only began to get worse about five years ago -- after 20 years.

Naomi Meyer, CG Dave 69 /25