Jim Caldwell asked about biofeedback & PD.

My family physician referred me to a RN in my HMO for biofeedback last
year.  I was (and still do) having some problems with cold stiff hands,
especially while working.

I found that if I can sit quietly for about 10 minutes, I can use
biofeedback techniques to relax muscles in my upper body, which leads to my
hands warming up.  This works fine when I'm sitting quietly at home and
need to relax my muscles.  However, it's another story when I'm at work and
have several things going on at once.

The RN who taught me to use biofeedback is also involved in sports
medicine.  She suggested that I use visualization techniques when I'm
active.  She suggested that I consider my individual and group T'ai Chi
workouts as "practice" and try to visualize the mental/body state I
experience then when I'm working.  My work would be considered the "game."
I've had mixed results with this.  But I'm still "practicing" and trying to
improve my "game."

She also from the beginning told me PD is caused by a chemical deficiency
in the brain and her techniques only supplement the medication.  However
her review of my medical records and her discussions with my family
physician and with my neurologist did lead to some changes in my
medications.

                              Charley Countryman (46/6)  [log in to unmask]