CFP:  Virtual Inkshed

The theme for this year's Inkshed is "Reading
Technologies," and part of what we want to do at
the face-to-face conference in Orillia is to
explore as many different reading technologies as
we can.  But we see no reason to confine that
exploration to the physical conference, only to
be undertaken by the face-to-face participants:
after all, they get to go to the conference so
why should they have all the fun??

So as the time draws near for Inkshed 14, we'd like to
open the conference up to people who can't be in
attendance in Orillia.  We've devised a
number of ways you can participate without physically
coming to the conference.  (We've also devised a
number of ways to participate back, too.)

So, here's how you can participate in the conference,
even at a distance.

===========================
SHED SOME ELECTRONS WITH US
===========================
All the Inkshed 14 presenters' abstracts and several
complete texts are now available.  There is
a discussion page linked to each presentation, and
you're welcome to read what's on the page -- now, during,
and after Inkshed -- and write back to presenters.  (With
any luck, we'll be including the inksheds written at the
conference as well.)

And while you're at it, why not help us out on Talent Nite,
too?  Follow the "Talent Nite" link off the Inkshed web page to
make contributions.

============================
SUGGEST TEXTS FOR US TO READ
============================
If you've got a favorite text about reading or about
technology, tell us about it on the Inkshed "Reading
Matters" web page:

http://www.umd.umich.edu/HyperNews/get/marcyb/ink14/reading.matters.html

If we hear from you before Sunday, April 27, we'll try to
get a copy of the text you recommend so it will be
available to conference participants.  If the text
gets discussed, you'll hear about it on the Inkshed web page.

==================
SHOW US YOUR SITES
==================
We know that members of the CASLL community have written
web pages for various reasons -- department pages,
personal home pages, pages for units on campus, what
have you.  Send us the URLs for pages you've written
and we'll make a page of links to all the URLs we
receive.  (Our address, again, is [log in to unmask])

MOO WITH US IN PASTORAL ONTARIO . . . AND BEYOND

Janice Freeman and Amanda Goldrick-Jones have begun
work on a "MOO space" for CASLLers on the MOO called
Connections. (MOOs allow people to log in to a computer
and "talk" (type, really) in real time to others who are also
logged on.  They're sort of like Internet Relay Chat or like
those infamous AOL chat rooms . . . )

There will be other, not-on-site Inkshedders logged in
to Connections at various times during the face-to-face
conference so that participants can have the chance to
experience MOOing.  We may also have a Virtual Presentation
or two -- people off-site "presenting" to the participants
at Inkshed 14 via the MOO.  Off-site participation in these
events is welcome as well.

To get to Connections, telnet to:

     connections.moo.mud.org 3333

and follow the directions on the screen for connecting
as a guest.  Once connected, type "walk to CASLL"
(no quotes).

If those directions make no sense to you, you can
check out the complete set of instructions at the
Connections home page:

http://www.ucet.ufl.edu/~tari/connections/connections-home.html

If you can't get to the Connections home page easily, you
can e-mail Marcy ([log in to unmask]) and she'll send you
the help text from the Connections site in an e-mail message.

In the next few months, we plan to schedule three or four
MOO sessions which follow up on presentations or themes raised
at Inkshed 14.

Any questions or suggestions?  Pass 'em along, pass 'em along . . .
You can reach us at:

Marcy (on behalf of the Inkshed 14 Planning Committee)

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb