Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to the Parkinsn list.  I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the
members.  I know I have during the six months I've been on the list.

Normally, I just lurk here, but something in your introduction struck a
chord with me.  I'm guessing that you're near my age (I'm 27).  My
fiance & I are taking care of his parents, both of whom have PD.  They
are in their 70s and more advanced than your father is.

But my dad is also 53.  He's a retired Nebraska State Trooper and is now
enjoying a second career in wood-working.  He doesn't have PD, but I can
only imagine how frustrating it would be for him to experience the
limitations that I know PD can bring about.

Your dad is young, and from everything I've read, young-onset PD
progresses more slowly than if it occurs later.  You said that the
medication and exercises have had a positive effect, and this is good.
As his son, I think it's important for you to encourage him to stay
active - from what I've seen, exercise not only benefits the body, but
is a bit of an antidote to the depression that can come with PD.

In any case, PD isn't the end of the world, and shouldn't be the end of
your dad's livelihood, either.  There are a lot of treatments for PD
(experimental as well as traditional), and with any luck, the cure is
right around the corner.

You're also right that your father would likely benefit from first-hand
exposure to this list.  My dad is talking about getting a computer and
going online - tell your dad that if my dad can do it, anyone can!

Sincerely,
Shannon Uehling
co-CG for Jack 76/7 and Marguerite 71/1