will johnston wrote:

> Most of the notes I saw said that stress caused a worsening of PD symptoms.
> I find the reverse true in the short run, true in the long run.
>
> Under stress I can do things I could not do under stress. Driving an auto is
> somewhat stressful, but having an emergency braking is even more stressful.
> If I am in an emergency situation, mmyfoot goes right to the brake pedal
> instantly. This has been noted in the literature - such as immobile PD
> patients getting out of burning buildings.
>
> Stress apparently brings on other transmitters or alternate pathways to make
> the body parts function as we want them to. The catching of a ball [or I use
> car keys as a demo] by seemingly frozen PD patients has been well
> documented...even used in the movie AWAKENINGS. After the stress, the
> dopamine reserve [if any] is depleted and alternate neurotransmitters are
> not being produced.  Then the stress has "used us up" and we have bad or
> deep really "offs."
>
> I am doing my income tax. I worked pretty well for a while, but had to stop
> after a relatively short spurt of activity. I find that gross movement does
> not "use me up" but activities requiring fine motor skills wipe me out.
> Handling paper is the worst activity for me.

Will,you brougth more  ligth to these PD reactions. It seems to me that
they are worst when the stress is related to some emotional UNPLEASENT
and disturbing cause to the patient(handling some kind of papers for
some,being assaulted or robbed etc).

REgards,

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+