Hello, Listfriends!

Today, I called my senators' and congressman's offices for the 2nd time during this drive.

The first time, many weeks ago, I just told the person answering the phone that I was calling to support the Udall Bill for PD Research.   I followed up with e-mail messages, which got "form letter" responses.

Today, I asked to speak with the person who dealt with health issues (okay, okay, stop beating on me with those wet noodles, I know that's what I should have done the first time!!), left 3 messages asking for a return call or e-mail about the Udall Bill, and just finished with the first call-back.

"Heidi" at Sen. Pat Roberts' office (R-KS) said she "just hadn't brought it to Pat's attention yet" but was optimistic that he'd be supportive because there was PD in his family; he'd want to know about cost etc.; and yes he probably did get a "Dear Colleage" letter from Sen McCain, and she had probably just filed it with the rest of them.

I was shocked, shocked, shocked.  From where I sit, in front of this computer and on this list, it looks as though the whole world must know about the Udall Bill -- we certainly do -- why didn't she???  Now I feel sooo guilty, and plan to hound my KS guys since apparently that's what it takes.  Hey, if D'Amato can sign on, so can they.

Heidi knows now about the upcoming introduction date, the $100 million annual budget, the measly $28 per patient per year currently spent on research, and the estimated $25 billion annual cost to society.  She also knows that if I don't hear back from her soon, she'll be hearing from me.

So,   A. that's where we stand with Sen Roberts

        B.  please don't be complacent like I WAS.  The phone call was really easy to make.  You might want to have some basic data handy (like I didn't) so you don't have to fumble (like I did) when answering basic questions.  Don't worry about harder questions -- "I'll get back to you with that" is always acceptable.

Mary Rack
cg for mom Louise 75/6