Den Gen wrote:

> Hello,
> Still trying to find out the sameness or differences between liquid deprenyl
> citrate and eldepryl.  If they're the same thing why is one possibly more
> dangerous than the other?  Is it really just dosage because one could be very
> careful.  Also one is fda approved and the other isn't.  Based only on
> dosage?  That doesn't make logical sense.  There must be a difference.
> For those of you taking eldepryl, is it in addition to or instead of sinemet?
> Thanks for any help you can give.
> Den
Den-

Eldepryl and deprenyl are the same thing.  The only reason I could see
why the liquid could be more dangerous is the greater possibility of
error in dosing. Ususally it is given with Sinemet.  It is perported to
have a neuroprotective effect both with and without sinemet. The
original study on eldepryl in the states was stopped because the
preliminary results were so convincing that it was felt unethical to
withhold it from the placebo group. The difference I believe was that
people taking the active drug were able to continue to work many months
longer than the placebo group.

I believe the results are being called into some question lately on the
basis that the drug is also an antidepressant and that effect rather
than an actual neuoprotective effect may account for the improvement in
how the patients felt, not their lack of progression of the disease.

Eldeprel/deprenyl has risks including blood pressure instability,
agitation and psychosis.  There are exactly the same risks for both at
higher doses.

I hope this clears it up.

Charlie
--