Jackie - Regarding pallidal stimulation:

>Does anyone know if this procedure helps with the slowness of movement
>(bradykinesia)?  I saw a TV show and saw that it did help reduce the
>tremor, but I can't remember if it helped the slowness.

In the over-a-year period since Dick had his second pallidal stimulation, we
have forgotten whether the docs told us it should help with bradykinesia or
not.  We remember  being told the surgery was targeting dyskinesia and
dystonia, and was not specifically targeting tremor.

  Dick found it helped his dystonia (he didn't have much, if any dyskinesia)
and almost entirely eliminated his tremor, which was severe.  However, his
bradykinesia has definitely progressed over the past year, along with
bradyphrenia.  He also didn't see any improvement in freezing or balance, and
he believes he is having more frequent problems in those areas.

I'm going to contact one of the other pallidal stimulation recipients and see
if he remembers what he was told about bradykinesia.  If he remembers, I'll
report back to the list.

For those in the Kansas-Missouri area, the PD symposium coming up in Kansas
City on April  24th features Dr. Steven Wilkinson, the neurosurgeon who
performs the pallidotomies and pallidal stimulations as well as thalamotomies
and thalamic stimulations at KU Med, who will speak about surgical treatments
for PD.

Sincerely, Margie Swindler      cg for Dick, 52/15       [log in to unmask]