SJS wrote:

> My response -- in addition to seeking to strenously emphasize to
> these Congresspersons the critical need to support this Udall Bill
> -- would be to first do some serious background-research on whether
> (and to what extent) these individuals may have thrown their
> political weight behind any OTHER legislation (such as Defense
> Appropriations?) which DID specifically "earmark funds" for
> similarly-focused purposes. Then I'd make the case to them
> directly: If they supported "earmarking" so assiduously regarding
> those other pieces of legislation, how can they expect to be viewed
> (by the electorate?) as "consistent" if they now oppose
> "earmarking" regarding the Udall Bill -- especially when the Udall
> Bill is so clearly humanitarian in its goals?

An example of defense legislation is the Department of Defense
Authorization Act for Fiscal 1996 (S.1124, Public Law 104-106).
Funds are designated for specific weapons systems (analogous to
specific diseases).  Here are excerpts from the digest of the law,
obtained from http://thomas.loc.gov:

"(Sec. 113) Authorizes the Secretary of the Army to enter into
multiyear procurement contracts for Longbow Apache attack
helicopters and UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopters.

"Subtitle C: Navy Programs - Makes funds authorized for shipbuilding
and conversion under this title available for: (1) construction of a
third Seawolf attack submarine; and (2) long-lead and advance
construction and procurement of components for the FY 1998 and 1999
New Attack Submarines. Further earmarks $10 million of such funds
only for participation of Newport News Shipbuilding in the design of
the New Attack Submarine....

"(Sec. 135) Authorizes the Secretary of the Navy to: (1) construct
six Arleigh Burke class destroyers; (2) enter into contracts in FY
1996 for the construction of three such destroyers; (3) enter into
contracts in FY 1997 for the construction of three more such
destroyers, subject to the availability of appropriations for such
purpose; and (4) obligate other available Navy construction funds
for such purpose (requiring 30 days' advance congressional
notification of any such obligation)."

Etc. etc. etc.

Earmarking for defense at the specific weapons level of detail is
analogous to earmarking for health at the means of treatment level.
Doesn't the NIH already decide how the money is allocated at that
level?

If the non-earmarking principle urged for NIH funding were applied
to the military, the admirals and generals would get a lump sum and
then decide what weapons to spend it on.

The above-mentioned web site contains all the information needed for
the research SJS suggests:  digests and full text of what was enacted
and who voted for it.

Phil Tompkins