Dear Tom

Here is my contribution to your informal survey of PWP with speech problems.

You asked:>What kind of speech problems do you have?
I have trouble with volume (far too quiet), with stuttering (especilly of
's', 't','n' amd 'm' sounds at the beginning of words), and with
articulation (my tongue becomes flat and hard, causing a slurring of
speech).  I also go far too quickly when I read (but not when I speak) and
when I sing out loud (but not when I sing in my head).
Now this is Joy continuing Bob's message.  He DOES go too quickly when he
speaks too. I think he is better when he sings.  When asked to repeat
himself, he repeats at the same rate, volume, etc -- he can't seem to slow
it down and enunciate until I demonstrate what to do. I often have to make
him break the word up into syllables to make it possible for him to say it
clearly. It is often only on the third "round" that I pick up enough words
to make sense of what he is saying.
Fortunately this problem is not happening all the time and when he is with
other people he seems to make more of an effort (?) and be able to speak
more clearly.  Ironically, making him angry forces him to speak much more
clearly and loudly.
I guess all this sounds very familiar.
In April, he starts the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment.  We are lucky to
have many trained therapists in Perth - indeed in Australia, following the
visit of Dr Ramig and Annette Pawlas, from Colorado, last year.  One of our
local hospitals has also hired a SP to work half time for just LSVT, and we
are already seeing good results in those who have had the therapy.

SO WE ARE HOPEFUL OF IMPROVEMENTS.

Regards
Bob & Joy Graham