AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH

I just had a most unsatisfactory discussion with "David", Sen Brownback's health care aide.

It's the earmarking thing.

Their position is that earmarking is bad, they want to remove all earmarking from the NIH appropriation when it comes up in maybe June and gets voted on in maybe Sept.  They say it's the aids and breast cancer earmarking in particular that is at the root of lack of funding for pd, ad, juvenile diabetes etc etc.

Oh, and they don't like earmarking period, military, whatever, and will work to eliminate it.

I said, fine, fix the system, but meanwhile you need to help areas that have been underfunded in the past.

I got nowhere.  We kept going around in circles.  SOMEONE WITH MORE TACT AND/OR SKILL OR SOMETHING than I have, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH BROWNBACK'S OFFICE!!!! Or maybe we just need to write him off as hopeless and concentrate on offices where we stand a chance?

I feel lousy right now and just hope I haven't made matters worse.  Any suggestions??

Mary Rack
cg for mom louise 75/6
Overland Park KS