On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 00:37:34 -0400 Ken Becker <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>WELL today was the day, the neuroligist was going to be told about the
>wonderful properties of Aricept. He said he was familiar with it being
>used to treat Alzheimers, but it was not a good idea to give it to my
>father, who he decided was doing well, after asking him some
>questions, he said he was lucid, and did not want to "rock the boat" by
changing
>or adding meds at this time. He also wants to do another  checkup in 3
>months.
>He implied that the Aricept's positive effects may have been a placebo
>effect for Carol's mom. I feel different
>
>[OO] LOOKING FOR RADIOS!
>Ken Becker

This is Carol, Louise's daughter and I KNOW different.

Ken, it is a shame the Nuro won't even give Aricept a try.
Does you dad have a family doctor who might proscribe a
trial dosage. You should know right away if it is going to
do you dad any good.

Yesterday, as my mother was feeding herself a
salad using a fork with a large diameter handle I had
purchased for her months ago thinking it would be easier for her
to hold,  I remembered that before PD and now I am
sure it was mostly Altzhimers took away her ability
to feed herself she used to insist on eating with
her "Granny" fork. You know the type; brown wooden
handle with three sharp tines.

I hadn't given it to her for months because
I feared she would stab herself perhaps in the
hand or any other part of her upper anatomy
perhaps even the tongue if she got lucky and
located her mouth and otherwise
hurt herself. But now I thought I'd let her try it

Instead of trying to balance lettuce, tomato,
cucumber and  onion, she proceeded to stab each
morsel and delftly insert them one by one into her
mouth.

This can't be placebo.

My sister-in-law told a friend whos mother has only Altzheimers
about Aricept. She contacted a doctor immediately and he wrote
out a prescription.

The first thing people who know her notice are her eyes. They are
alert and look you right in the eye and they indicate that she
understands.

Ken, Did the nuro  indicate any medical reason why Aricept might hurt
your dad? If not I wouldn't give up until I found a doctor to prescribe
a trial.

Carol