There is considerable interest and speculation (Understandably) about
whether  the new drug developed for Alzheimer's Disease could benefit
sufferers of PD who are showing signs of dementia.

The clue, I believe is to be found in the very informative post from
Margaret Tuchman; a cutting from which is repeated here:-

> Aricept(TM) is a reversible inhibitor of the enzyme
>acetylcholinesterase, which breaks down the neurotransmitter
>acetylcholine.
>Acetylcholine, thought to be associated with memory and learning, is in
>shortsupply in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Aricept(TM) therapy may
>result in a higher concentration of acetylcholine in the brain, thereby
>improving cognitive function.

Apart from Alzheimer's, one of the most significant causes of Dementia is
known as Difuse Lewy body disease. This can develop in some patients from
earlier stages which give classic PD symptoms, the difference is that the
Lewy bodies, normally found to be concentrated in the area of the
Substantia Nigra, are scattered throughout the brain in a patient with
Difuse Lewy Body Disease.

When doctors try to determine the specific disease affecting a patient in
the early stages, and of course they cannot carve up the brain to confirm
it, it is quite possible that the group labelled 'PD' may contain people
who have early Alzheimer's, and people who who have early Difuse Lewy Body
Disease.

Aricept works to replace missing acetylcholine in the brain. If that is so,
then it is difficult to see how it can have any effect on someone with
Diffuse Lewy Body Disease. However it would affect the group of Alzheimer's
sufferers who are incorrectly labelled PD.

Incidentally, it is ironic that some of the oldest drugs which are still
prescribed for Parkies are those known as Anticholinergic (e.g. Artane).
which perform their dubious function by destroying the very chemical
which is in short supply in Alzheimer's patients. At the very least, it
would be wise to avoid giving Artane to elderly patients and anyone showing
signs of dementia, just in case they are 'disguised Alzheimers' sufferers.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>