Letters,  similar to the the one that follows were sent to Senator
McCain and Congressman Upton.  No word from Brady's office yet.

April 8, 1997

The Honorable Kevin Brady
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20510
Fax 202-225-4986

Subject: The Udall Parkinson's Bill

Dear Representative Brady,

Thank you so much for your support and concern for my situation and the
Parkinson's disease community. Bob and I truly appreciated the time you
and Janet devoted to us during our visit with you in Houston last week.
I have suffered with PD for 22 years. My hopes for a cure have been
raised and dashed on several occasions. Without adequate funding PD will
dash the hopes of millions of Americans as the baby boomer generation
approaches the age when PD typically strikes.

Unless you experience it you can't know how awful this disease is. Day
after day it takes away the very fiber of who you are, what you might be
and what you might do for society your family and yourself. At the age
of 52, I can no longer be counted on to perform even the basic duties of
life for myself. Wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds combined with
hundreds of dollars of medicine each month are what I count on for
mobility. While my husband and family and our support group have been my
heroes through these 22 years, their resources are exhausted.  The Udall
bill gives us all the hope that we need to combat this lousy disease one
day at a time until a cure is found.

Again, thank you for your time and I hope your support for this terrible
disease which has been so neglected for so long. In 1817 James Parkinson
wrote his paper describing the most prevalent symptoms of this disease.
This work, 180 years later is still used today to describe the disease.
Let 1997 be the year that we change all that. Let it be the year we
raise the consciousness of all Americans about the devastation caused by
PD and neurological disorders. Let this decade of the brain unravel the
mysteries of neurological disorders and let our leaders in Washington
pave the way for the cure.

Do it for Mo, and do it for me. Thanks for listening. This letter was
typed by my husband Bob.

Original signed by:

Nancy Martone

address removed