Nancy....and All

I happened to catch "20/20" last nite and saw the segment about that "new"
Parkinson's surgery the program's "resident physician" gushed over.

The procedure never was referred to by name but it was, as far as I could tell
(this is an EDUCATED guess), the brain stimulation procedure which several of
our list members have already had.

It was never said that this was a treatment for relief of  symptoms ONLY.
While the word "cure" was not mentioned at any point, in looking at the PD
patients, had I not been educated in the ins and outs of this disease and
current treatments - the average non-PD layperson's view, in other words - I'd
have drawn the conclusion after seeing the pre and the post-surgical videos,
where the patients were very "normal" and well LOOKING (as opposed to what
they may have actually FELT like inside), the presumption would have been
these individuals WERE cured.

Imagine to yourself what YOU would have thought were you John or Jane Q.
Public and initially saw a woman twisted up like a pretzel and wildly gyrating
constantly, then, in the next shot of her, she's merrily gardening, then
cooking
and serving up a huge dinner for her family (who just sat there like a bunch
of LUMPS while mom did all the work!).  The other PD patients were shown in
the same light...

IF I'd been the aforementioned John or Jane Q. Public, I'd have thought
"WOWIE! A Parkinson's CURE!" (tho as I said, THAT word was never mentioned in
the presentation)

The "20/20" resident doctor DID say that only 40 of the presumed-to-be brain
stims had been done in France (and this program presented the French surgery
as the original), and said that only 10  - yup, TEN - had been done in the
USA. (WRONG, bozo!) which indicated to me he isn't up on what's happening in
the world of PD medicine.

Barbara Walters chirped up that along whit that OTHER Parkinson's surgery they
featured on the program some months ago, that it sure looked great out there
for the Parkinson's sufferer... That "other" surgery is the pallidotomy (I saw
that segment too), and as we all know it CAN relieve PD symptoms, (and
speaking from personal experience, it worked very well in my case) but NEITHER
surgery can halt the progress of the disease as it inexorably proceeds to
degenerate within us.

THAT "20/20" somehow overlooked in it's presentation... ALSO "overlooked" was
the fact that the stim-device is turned off at night when the patient sleeps
or if they turn it off to conserve battery power, all their original,
pre-surgery PD symptoms are immediatly there once again.

Barb Mallut