At 11:45 PM 4/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>As many of you know, I'm employed by Microsoft Corp. on MSN (The Microsoft
>Network).  Periodically we receive virus warnings, one of which I posted on
>this list a few months ago concerning a Trojan virus that can infect Word 6
>and Word 95.  This message is a follow up of that and relates to Word 97.
>
>This is not a hoax...
>
>Barb Mallut

May I gently suggest one more measure to protect your system, at least with
Word 6 (I haven't bother to upgrade due to application bloat (my opinion
only  :-})  )).  This is to select Options from the Tools drop-down menu.
Once Options are displayed, select the Save Tab.  Be sure that the checkbox
next to "Prompt to Save Normal.Dot" is checked.  Unless the idiot macro
author has discovered a way around Word's knowledge of it's Normal.Dot,
Word will know if the Normal.Dot file has been updated and will prompt you
to save it.  You should respond with No to the prompt unless you know that
you've done something to modify it.  Bottom line, if in doubt, respond "No"
to the prompt.

BTW, there are times when I do want to record a macro to automate a
repetitive task.  I do so, save the new version of Normal.Dot, use it and
then, when the task is done, I delete the Normal.Dot so that I'm using a
vanilla (unchanged) copy.
Jeff
[log in to unmask],net