A beginner's Guide to #Parkinsons On IRC

You've heard a little or a lot about #parkinsons and you want
to know how to get there. The first step is the correct program.
There are three popular programs available. For the MAC the
program of choice is IRCLE. For IBM and compatibles using
some flavor of windows there are two programs, PIRCH and
MIRC.

AOL
A very good discussion of how to get onto IRC  from
AOL using the MIRC program can be found at the web site
http://www.mindspring.com/~mcgatney/irc.html.
I highly recommend it to anyone attempting accessing the
Undernet from AOL. This site lists the servers you must use
to access IRC from AOL. Only one of these servers will get you
to the Undernet and only the Undernet will get you to #parkinsons.

MAC
The web site
http://www.mid.net/INFO-MAC/PM-1995/95-09/Info-Mac_Digest_V13_97/0029.html
is one of the places I know about where IRCLE is available.
A web site dedicated to IRCLE is http://www.xs4all.nl/~ircle/
This site may or may not be of help but it does direct you to
other sites where the software is available. Unfortunately, this
is all I know about the program and it's use.

Windows and MIRC
Mirc is probably the most popular program for accessing
IRC. It can be downloaded from either of these two sites.
http://www.mirc.co.uk/ These are by no means all of
the sites available on the web.

Windows and PIRCH
Pirch is very much like Mirc in its use and screen display.
It is available at http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~frappa/pirch.html

IRC: What is it and how to get there.
http://kragar.kei.com/irc.html
http://www.netsurf.org/~violet/jwz/irc-faq.html
http://www.singnet.com.sg/public/IRC/ircclient.html

Of the three sites listed above the first two give fairly
detailed instructions on how to access the Undernet.
The third is a large list of programs used to access IRC.
The best set of "how to - 1, 2, 3, you're there" instructions
is on the web site for Mirc and AOL. The instructions
hold true for Pirch (the screen elements differ somewhat)
and the Ircle web page has a "how to" section as well.

I hope this goes a way toward answering everyone's questions *grin*

Marvin Giles.