On Thu 10 Apr, Allan Rosenberg wrote:
> I am curious as to what constitutes a low, average or high dose of
> Sinemet/Sinemet CR.
>
> Barbara has just been increased to the following regimen, would it be
> considered "abnormally" high or is there "room to grow" ?
>
> Sinemet 25/100        3 tablets daily
> Sinemet CR 50/200   7 tablets daily
> Permax .25mg        11 tablets daily
>
> Thanks.
>
> Allan

Hello Alan, Your question is one which can only be answered in broad terms,
because each person reacts differently to the drugs which we take. When
you consider that these tablets have to withstand the rigours of our
digestive system, then the blood circulation system ( A cauldron of
chemical processes), it is pretty amazing that any levodopa at all makes
it to the brain.
   The record for the highest intake I have ever encountered is held by
a friend of mine here in the UK, who takes Madopar capsules (They are
interchangeable with Sinemet) to the tune of 3000 mg per day !! On the
other hand, If I exceeded 1200 mg/day, I would probably be suffering
dyskinesias, and all the discomfort of excess levodopa.
   Perhaps a more meaningful question is: 'Are the tablets arranged to
give a consistent flow of levodopa into the brain.' (Don't forget that
food can make a real mess of this optimum flow, because the protein in
the food breaks down the levodopa, so you need more levodopa around
mealtimes.
If you feel that your wife is not getting the best out of her tablets,
you may find it of interest to read the description of of how to use a
computer program which I wrote , which analyses your drug intake and
enables you to arrive at the optimum schedule for your case. You can
read this document by browsing some pages kindly provided by Ron Vetter.
The URL is:
        http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/brianspd.html

        If you get no response, split the URL in two:

     Go to http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/     - This gets you into the site.

    Then go to  ~rfvetter/brianspd.html      This finds my page.
Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>