Book Report (11 Apr 97)
My library ladies, bless their hearts, are always on the lookout
for anything about PD. They found me a good chapter from a popular
book, "Doctor, What Should I Eat?" by I. Rosenfeld MD (1995, Random
House). The chapter contains a simple but cogent explanation of PD,
and some admonitions about protein and Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).
Many people take megavitamin preparations either on general
principle or at the first sign of infection, on the Chicken Soup
theory: If a small intake of vitamins is good for you, then a lot
must be better. Some of the megavitamin combos contain B6, which
accelerates the conversion of levodopa to dopamine before it can
reach the brain, thus canceling its effectiveness. Duvoisin's
book of course also treats both subjects, but it may be a little
complicated for some people.
Second, the just-received and commendable PAN Newsletter contains
a troublesome error, which should be corrected by someone who knows
how to do it: They recommend the Parkinsn Listserv, but give the
e-mail address for posting a message, rather than the one (plus
command) for getting on the list of recipients. Some would-be
members may be disappointed.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694