Here is the text of the New York proclamation which was received by our
support group on Friday:

        Parkinson's Disease is a chronic, debilitating, neurological disorder
caused by a chemical defiency in the brain. It affects approximately 1.5
million Americans, about 40 percent of whom are less than 60 years of
age. While suffers of Parkinson's Disease do not experience damage to
their mental capacities, they must endure the loss of their body's
ability to function normally. In a sense, they become prisoners of their
own body.

        Parkinson's Disease gradually renders its victims incapable of caring
for themselves, placing a tremendous emotional and financial burden on
the victims, their families and society. It is estimated that this
disease costs the United States $26 billion annually in direct
health-related expenses, indirect disability related costs and lost
productivity.

        In recent years there have been great advances in neurological research
that have created the potential for major breakthroughs in the treatment
of Parkinson's Disease. All New Yorkers join in applauding the efforts
and dedication of persons involved in the many aspects of caring for
individuals suffering from this disease, as well as the support services
that are crucial to both person's afflicted with Parkinson's and their
families. It is also fitting that we recognize the seriousness of this
disease and the need for continued efforts to combat its devastating
effects upon our society.

        NOW, THEREFORE, I George E. Pataki, Governor of the State of New York,
do hereby recognize April 1997 as:

                PARKINSON'S DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH

in the Empire State.

Signed