In Camilla's post on C-Span's segment  with  Dr. Tom Ferguson, author  of a
book called "Health Online" she reports " he stated there are quite a number
of *younger* docs who want to use email with their patients, and a LARGE
number of patients who would welcome this. He also is involved in a group
studying ways to implement doc/patient e-mail, define areas where it can be
used safely, etc."

Last fall I asked my PD doc if I could E-Mail him between visits and he was
very  agreeable.  THEN, his nurse came in the room after he had left the
room, and made it very clear that SHE was the GATEKEEPER of the doctor's
E-MAIL and SHE didn't have time to deal with increased E-Mail from patients,
and couldn't promise when any such message would reach the doctor. Neither
the doctor or the nurse provided their E-Mail Address.  Of course, the
nurse(s) also are GATEKEEPERS    of any phone  calls.  I hardly ever phone
between visits, having found this medium unsatisfactory.   I think E-Mail
would enable the PATIENT to carefully express his/her concern, and likewise
the HEALTH PROVIDER to respond in a more considered and complete matter.

Barbara Blake-Krebs