Karen,  As long as this type of surgery is experimental (and it is) than
it will be a research program.  There are some hospitals that do perform
a number of surgeries.  Here at the Neurosciences Institute we have
performed over sixty PD transplants in the last 4 1/2 years.  Is your
concern about research the "double-blind" component of some studies?
Not all surgery centers use a double-blind model.  We do not.    Carole
Hilton

Carole Hilton, LCSW
Parkinson's Coordinator
NPF Patient Services and Outreach Program
The Neurosciences Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital
637 S. Lucas, #501
Los Angeles, CA  90017