Jacob wrote:
>As for GPI-1046. I don't understand what all the hoopla is about. I've >heard that it will be 10 years before it is available to the public. >Ten years on the FDA's calendar is, I don't know... 25 years.
>If anything helps GPI-1046 along, it will be that Christopher Reeves >might be helped as well by this drug. Even then, they'll probably just >give it to him, secretly.
>An embittered young man,
>Jacob
To which Jerry answered:
The FDA is doing a good job in getting new drugs approved. The recent
release of drugs designed for AIDS shows that these folks are doing a
double time at work IF a drug proves promising.
   Our new drug, GPI-1046, has worked well on lab mice and primate
research, but no matter how well it works in that situation, it still
ain't the human brain. Just to get a drug to the market place faster is
no reason to release a drug that might have a stronger backlash than any
of us are ready for. What happens if these new nerves don't stop
growing? What if the path they take leads to insanity instead of health?
There's a reason to take it slow. Scientist need the time to be ALMOST
sure than it will work to heal us, not kill us.
   I hate PD as much as the next person. It's taken away the best part
of my life and like you, I'm angry about it. But when it comes to
pointing fingers, there isn't anyone who's to blame for what has
happened to us. It just happens. Given that, I have no desire to beat
life over the head with my anger.
   One thing PD has taught me - that every day is a beautiful gift that
we need to hold and treasure. It will never come back again, and we may
never feel this good again.
   GPI-1046 is the very FIRST promise of a cure we have EVER had. I want
the promise to hold, and I also want it to work. Those guys and girls
are working very hard for us. They need every bit of our support, not
our anger.
   The sky is a beautiful blue, my friend. Take the time to breath deep
and see the beauty. That smile that comes can do more towards healing
you than any medicine man can create.
--
Visit my WebSite! http://www.phoenix.net/~jfinch
Where the Cowboy Rides Away....