From: Tebay, Wendy on Thu, Apr 17, 1997 11:56 AM
Subject: Toxicology testing
To: Jonathon and Lianne; PD Listserv Postings
Cc: Annet G. Kirschner; E. Sterling Tebay; Fred Zeiss; Halling/SST;
Jason Taylor; Kirsten Halling; Margaret Tuchman; Pat Schark; Pesticide
Action Network

I saw something interesting on CNN this morning, which may have some
direct/indirect interest to those involved with PD.  The news segment
was about some research techniques being developed/studied at the
University of Windsor in Ontario.  There were two men who initiated
this study and who were interviewed by CNN.  I think one was a
toxicologist, and one was an environmental health researcher.  (One of
the guy's names was Kroshow Adeli, altho' I don't recall which one of
the two he was).  They were trying to develop methods of using human
liver cells, rather than animal tests, to determine the potential
toxicity of various chemicals.  Typically the EPA now requires that
all new chemicals undergo toxicity testing on animals in order to
determine their potential health effects on humans.  Supposedly, if
this method can be shown to be a viable alternative to current testing
methods, the major benefit would be that it would be faster and
cheaper, not to mention the fact that animal testing is not always a
reliable indicator of a substances effect on humans due to different
physiologies.

I thought that this was interesting to those involved with PD for a
couple reasons.  As is known, pesticides, heavy metals, and other
substances are thought to play a role in triggering the disease for
some people.  Also, current thinking is that the genetic factor for PD
may be related to an inability of the livers of those prone to getting
PD to produce the required enzymes which would allow the body to
process these toxins efficiently and thus remove them.

Perhaps as these techniques are developed, it will lead to a better
understanding of the effects of these chemicals on HUMAN bodies and
livers, and also possibly therefore to a better understanding of the
role they play in PD, and at the same time, reduce the suffering of
other creatures in order to save us from those very things which we
have ourselves created.

Wendy Tebay