Dear Folk,

Watching the news I heard a short segment that I thought was interesting.
Here is the
transcript I ordered:
=20
NBC Nightly News
April 15, 1997=20

TOM BROKAW, anchor:

=93We also have a footnote on this tax day, 1997.  We couldn't resist taking=
 a=20
look back and tallying up the FLEECING OF AMERICA reports that we've told
you about over the past year-stories of your tax dollars wasted.

All told, 51 examples since last tax day, all examples of the FLEECING OF
AMERICA,=20
from paying for needless warranties on high-tech military hardware, like
this F-15 fighter. =20
Even the Pentagon says this is a waste and and unneccessary, a $257
million-a-year fleecing.

To the $440 million that major oil companies owe the government, but refuse
to pay for oil pumped off federal lands.

To Nevada land deals-the federal government swaps land with private
developers to protect environmentally sensitive areas, but the government
does not get fair market value for its land.  The loss to taxpayers?  As
much as $100 million.

To a tax scheme of the super-rich.  By renouncing their American
citizenship, Ken Dart and more than a dozen other multi-millionaires have
also dodged their US tax liability.  The cost?  A half billion dollars in
lost taxes for the government each year.

So, as you worry about your tax burden, consider how much waste and
misspending we uncovered last year with the FLEECING OF AMERICA-almost $15
billion, Fifteen billion!

Of course we'll be on the lookout all this coming year for more examples of
the FLEECING OF AMERICA.=94

And our legislators want US to tell them how to fund the Udall bill??=
 Really!!!
Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540