On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:23:44 -0400 Suzanne Silva said:
>HI:
>
>My name is Suzanne, I am 28 and the youngest daughter of Adam, age 66, who
>has Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, both in the advanced stages. I was
>subscribed to this list server several months ago but had to unsubscribe due
>to some personal stuff.
>
>Let me tell you a little about why I have rejoined. I found so much
>understanding and compassion here that I had to find my way back. My father
>is dying. He hasn't eaten more than 3 bites of food in almost 4 weeks. He
>can barely talk, and when he does it's a whisper. He is merely but a shell
>of the vibrant man he once was. He does not walk and hasn't for longer than
>I can remember. He is totally bedridden and dependent on my mother for every
>little thing. Even though he should be in a long-term care facility, he is
>at home. My mother, age 61 with high blood pressure, works herself ragged.
>But it is truly a labor of love. I shudder to think how hard my father's
>illness has been on her. I am losing a giant of a man, my lifetime hero, but
>she is losing her husband, her lifetime love.

Suzanne, I'm glad you joined CARE... I can relate to your family's situation
from my own--my husband does not have AD, but has the form of PD which
causes gradual dementia/Bradyphrenia, and this is the hardest thing for
him, I believe--not easy for me, either. His biggest concern is that he
doesn't want to "be a burden" for me...we've been married nearly 54 years,
and the losses are impossible to comprehend. He often talks of moving to
a NH because of his concern for my health---this makes me wonder if your
father may have some of the same feelings , as he sees your mother suffer
from HIS illness?   Many PWPs I believe feel a horror at the idea of a
lingering "vegetative" state, and indeed your father may refuse food for this
reason--society makes it easy to help a suffering pet, but not a loved one
who may have reached "the end of her/his rope". I know this is controversial,
and there is a lot of resistence to discussing such things on the main list,
where a healthy denial may be the way many PWPs cope.  It is not a new
topic here on CARE, however.I hope that your father has made his wishes clear
to the family, has a Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
(which appoints a proxy to "speak" for him if he can't speak for himself)
Please feel free to discuss all of this here, knowing folks will be able
to understand and empathize.

>It's hard to watch him fade, very hard. I haven't even been able to cry
>about until today when I saw the funeral home information sitting on my
>mother's kitchen table, like a catalog or something. They say that he may
>last another month. Maybe not even that long. I think he's willing himself
>to die. He won't eat. He won't allow us to get him a G-tube. The quality of
>his life is non- existent. He is ready to leave this place.

DO CRY--it helps!

>I am getting married in 3 weeks and I have instructed my family to call me
>home if something happens to my dad while I am away. I feel incredibly
>guilty even going in the first place. I should also mention that I am
>bipolar and this has taken a real toll on me, and I am fighting the
>depression that is just around the corner.

Surely your approaching marriage would make your father happy--try to
see it that way, without guilt.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"