At 01:04 19/04/97 -0400,Ivan Suzman Asked...
>    DO YOU HAVE A DIABETIC RELATIVE??
>
>    My older brother is a young onset diabetic, and I am a young onset
>PWP.
>And it turns out that 17 of 21 PWP's I initially surveyed in MAINE have a
>diabetic relative!!  That's an 81% incidence in this small sample of
>PWP's!
Snipped.
Only significant if it differs from the normal incidence in such a population.
How do you define "relative"  If sufficiently distant it wouldn't be too
hard to find diabetes,  in almost everyone's background except possibly
Eskimos.

Another quibble is that diabetes comes in two flavours Young Onset and
Mature Onset.
The latter variety is almost as much a lifestyle outcome as a genetic
inheritance,  and I think you would have to exclude this variety from your
survey even though some young onset cases are misdiagnosed as such.

Anyway, FWIW,  Margaret's only relative with diabetes  (MOD) is her carer,
and I control it by exercise and diet.

Take Care,
M.
(CG for Margaret, 65/27 yrs)

Mark  Atyeo
51 Alexander Mackie Circuit
Isaacs,  2607  Australia
+61 6 286 2606
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like an apple.