Ivan wrote:
>     But it seems to me that this HIGH FREQUENCY of diabetics in our
> families  in Maine suggests that there IS a genetic explanation for
> Parkinson's.

Maybe your real question should be, is there a common cause for both
Diabetes and PD?  Are these diseases auto-immune in origin, for instance?

I can't remember the last time I cared for a Diabetic with PD (my med-surg
clinical division specialized in Diabetes, Emphysema, and cardiac
problems).  Diabetics experience frequent hospitalizations because of the
unique variety of problems that disease precipitates.  PD is not among
them.

However, there might be a link between the high incidence of PD and
Diabetes in the state of Maine - and I say that in all seriousness.
------
Mary Ann