        Patricia:
                I had my right side pallidotomy a year ago this month, on 2 April 96.
Mine was performed at the U of Utah Research Hospital.  It was  adjudged as
successful by both myself and the Neuro-Surgeon.   My primary complaints
were: Freezing; ON-OFF(mainly off) ;left side immobility or bad diskinesia.
My tolerance to Sinemet was a very narrow window,   I seemed to be either
underdosed or overdosed.   Immediately after the operation, I  had total
elimination of my left side symptoms.  My meds were immediately reduced to
approximately one-half.  I continued to have minor improvement in mobility
and mental attitude for approx six months.  After this time, the
progression of  the Parkinson's started to show up on my right side, and
continues to increase. I now take 5 Sinamet (25/100) per day and 2 Eldepryl
per day,which is about 2/3 of what I was taking prior to the Pallidotomy.
Other than that I take some E and C vitamens.  I no longer drive or have
much stamina.
                You should have been briefed that the Pallidotomy would neither cure the
disease nor affect the other (right) side.  You need the meds to help fight
this disease.  Don't fell bad or depressed that you still need them. Enjoy
the improved quality of life you can expect to have now, and rejoice.
                If we can be of any help, just let us ( The Parky List)  know.

                                         Ron C. 63/9