I suppose before this is over this year we will have a number of letters
from congressman and senators that will be worth sharing. I have scanned
this one from Congressman Bentsen in because of the rather strong level
of support for NIH spending even above what the President has
recommended. (The last time I checked both men were Democrats- joking!)

Besides agreeing to cosponsor the Udall Bill there seems to be a move a
foot to get NIH more money. Perhaps our message last year about the baby
boomers ascent to the golden years and the high cost impact they/we will
have on the federal deficit, that is, if  we don't find cures for some
of these nasty villens like PD. Perhaps that is one of our stongest
weapons in our existing arsonal. Spend $100 million now and save
billions shortly there after by just assisting a ready, willing and able
 research community now.

Anyone with insights on the other legislation he refers to would be
appreciated.

This letter was scanned in and spell checked but may not be an exact
duplicate.

April 11, 1997
Dear Mr. Martone:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal funding for medical
research on Parkinson's Disease. I appreciate hearing your views on this
important issue.

I strongly agree with you that we must invest more in biomedical
research and have cosponsored legislation to provide $100 million for
medical research dedicated to Parkinson S Disease. This legislation
would also create 10 Parkinson's Treatment and Research Centers, a
National Parkinson's Disease Data System, and a National Parkinson's
Information Clearinghouse for patients and their families to access
information about innovative treatments and services available to them.
I will certainly keep your informed as this legislation moves forward.

In a related matter, I wanted you to know that President Clinton's
recently released 1998 budget includes $13.5 billion for the National
Institutes of Health (NIH), an increase of 2.6 percent over last year's
budget. I am a strong supporter of providing adequate resources for
biomedical research and am pleased that the President's budget included
an inflationary increase for the NIH even as we seek to balance the
federal budget. I am working with bipartisan coalition of Members of
Congress in the Biomedical Research Caucus to maintain and improve upon
this funding level. As a new member of the House Budget Committee,
ensuring a strong NIH budget is one of my highest priorities.

I have also introduced legislation, the Graduate Medical Education Trust
Fund Act of 1997, to provide new funding for teaching hospitals, where
much of this critical research is performed. This legislation would
ensure that Medicare managed care plans contribute to medical education
and research in the same way as traditional Medicare plans. Managed care
plans currently are not required to do so, causing a financial squeeze
for academic health centers as more and more Medicare patients join
managed care plans. Medical research is an investment that we must
continue because it is so vital to our quality of life and will yield
new treatments for diseases such as Parkinson's, cancer, bean disease,
Alzheimers, and AIDS.

Thank you again for taking the time to inform me of your views. If I may
be of further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

With kindest personal regards,
Sincerely,

Kenneth E. Bentsen