At the time Margaret was prescribed Clozaril, it was a drug that was used
primarily for experimental treatment of schizophrenia.     She didn't have
this,  but she did have a medicine-induced dementia  (from Artane).   This
provided enough of an excuse for her medico who was well aware of the
beneficial 'side-effects' of Clozaril which had been noted to relieve
dyskinesia,  to call in a psychiatrist  who was able to place Margaret on
the experimental programme and prescribe the drug. Margaret has since
managed to discontinue the Artane (no easy task by the way) and is now
taking the Clozaril only because of it's 'side-effects'

Clozaril is still tightly controlled mainly, I think, because a certain
proportion( ~5%)  of those having it  develop bone marrow problems
(?agranulosis -sp?).  Margaret has to have regular blood tests, weekly at
first but now monthly, and the Clozaril is not released by the Canberra
Hospital pharmacy until the results are in the hands of the Clozaril
programme coordinator.  Other neurologists have expressed admiration of our
doctors' resourcefulness in getting Margaret onto  the programme which,
incidentally,  involves no cost to us.

Regards,
Mark,
(CG for Margaret 65/27 yrs)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 22:10 14/04/97 -0400, Bob & Joy Graham wrote:
>Mark Atyeo wrote:
>>Margaret has been on Clozaril now for over two years.  She takes it solely
>>to alleviate her dyskinesia, but has not been able to tolerate
>>more than 100 mg nightly.  ...It has nevertheless,  helped her dyskinesia;
>
>Mark, this is indeed good news about Clozapine.  I am curious, how did you
>manage to get this prescribed for her -- I didn't think this drug was
>available for PWP in Australia.  Can you tell my which neurologist
>prescribed it and where you get it from.

Mark  Atyeo
51 Alexander Mackie Circuit
Isaacs,  2607  Australia
+61 6 286 2606
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like an apple.