Billy..

Sorry to disillusion ya, but Parkie women lose elasticity in THEIR vocal cords
just as frequently as men with PD do.  It's simply more noticeable in men
because they have deeper voices than women do... A PD woman who loses vocal
quality does so with her voice merely becoming softer in tone, with the actual
tone making no changes.

There are several different ways that PD can affect speech.... the softening
of sound, the problem with too much air leaking out of the vocal cords during
speech causing words to come out chopped up and incomplete, (actually, feels
ya have run OUT of air rather than too much - strange), the inability of being
able to clearly enunciate words because of the muscles around the mouth and/or
the tongue not responding quickly to form the individual words...

I have the problem of too much air being pushed thru the vocal cords and have
been exploring getting bovine collagen injections into the two vocal cords.
I've been trying to get Kaiser Permanente to pick up the cost of this as I am
a member of Kaiser, and this procedure IS covered by Medicare.  IF I'm
unsuccessful in getting Kaiser to do the injections, then I'm planning on
having Dr. Berk at UCLA do them, which will put me out of pocket $500.

For more information about collagen injections, check the List Archives for
the complete review of discussion I attended hosted by my PD support group
(Meeting in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, the last Sat. of
every month, at 1:00 pm, Granada Hills Community Hospital, Granada Hills)
<GREAT group of people!> (HINT HINT) <grin>, with the guest speaker being an
associate of Dr. Berk's at UCLA.

For those interested, Dr. Berk's phone number at UCLA is:  (310) 206-6688

Barb Mallut