> From: Bob & Joy Graham <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: research
> Date: Saturday, 19 April 1997 5:15
> I would love to hear more about the epidemiology study you are in

The study is by the Central West Parkinson's Disease Research Group.  It
covers about 1/3 of the central area of NSW, roughly from Lithgow in the
East, to Cobar in the West, and from Merriwa in the north to Hay in the
South.

It is a full epidemiological study, considering many factors.  It includes
questions on emotional states, memory, hygiene, etc., as it is a study to
ascertain the needs of sufferers in the district as to availability of
transport, doctors, hospitals, etc.

Information is obtained by interview, and the answers are recorded in
individual answer books. There are separate books for sufferers and carers.
 If necessary, return visits are made.  An initial database has been
constructed to store the data.  When completed, data will be extracted and
processed by a non-prescriptive, heuristic analysis program, which will
make no judgements, but only analyse trends.

A pilot study was undertaken in 1995, which showed that the official
figures for sufferers was grossly understated, and that the problem of care
was far more complex than just the domestic issues.  As one of our chief
researchers, Dr. J. Selby said in relation to this subject, "Love can turn
to hate, and care to neglect, as, with time, the physical, mental and
financial state of both sufferer and carer deteriorate."

We have had much contact with Professor Tong, of Beijing University
Hospital, who is head of the Departments of Gerontology and Epidemiology.
China has approximately 90,000,000 elderly at present, and the proportion
will grow due to the "one-child" policy, the increasingly nuclear
lifestyle, and the rising standard of living.
So they are very interested in anything that could alleviate the situation.
 As well as exchanging data with our study, Professor Tong is taking part
in a joint study of ethnic Chinese in China, Hong Kong, and Sydney.
Preliminary figures suggest that the incidence of PD is much lower in China
than in the West, and Prof. Tong is anxious to verify this, and to
follow-up possible causes.

Dr. Selby and I are PWP's, as is one other of our group, so we are really
"on the inside, looking out".  But, given our ages and the progression of
PD in each case, we will not benefit from the results.

> (PS Are you planning to come to the Conference in Perth in September?)

Yes, I am planning to attend with my wife.

Jim