Ref: Who do you tell you have Parkinsons?

Billy,

I think the answer to this is as personalized as the
variation in response to treatment.

You have to tell your family. They know you too well and
are quick to pick up changes in behavior. Close friends
are in the same category. Eventually they figure out
something is wrong.

As for my employer. I am fortunate enough to work for
a large company with
a good benefits plan. I was able to establish myself as
a contributor to the business over my 20 year career
with the company. I've had good communication with management
even though I am sometimes a wild duck. I've always told people
what was on my mind, so I let them know about the Parkinsons.
Many people had already started to notice a change in my
energy level.

I told the parents at the beginning of the fall soccer season
that I had been diagnosed with the disease. I did this because
I didn't know how quickly the disease would progress and I didn't
know how I would respond to treatment. I didn't want to be
stumbling around the field and have the parents think I had been
tipping a few prior to coming out to coach their children. This
would have been more problematic in the long run.

As I said, I am fortunate. There is no doubt that age and physical
impairment discrimination exist. In this age of downsizing and bottom
lines, it isn't always easy to find fairness and compassion in
corporations. I dare say I would not look forward to going out to look
for new employment at this point.

There is also no doubt that my revelation of PD has reduced my chances
of accelerated promotions. On the other hand, I'm more than happy to
let the young bucs work the weekends and midnight shifts to get that
next system out the door on schedule so they can move up the corporate
ladder.

Slowing down but still moving.

Phil G. ([log in to unmask])