Jim Ryan writes:

>My wife just returned from an acupuncturist for plantar fasciitis (heel
>spurs) where she claimed relief of her discomfort. She suggest I try  it for
>my PD. Has anyone had any experience with acupuncture? I question the
>benefit, however before I decide I thought I ask for the wisdom of someone
>who has walked the walk.
>Thanks,
>Jim Ryan
>57/7

Hi Jim,

I had accupuncture a couple of years ago for pain management purposes (it
was very effective). The pain was only incidentally related to PD, but in
the course of things I talked with the doctor about the PD, whether
accupuncture would help. This doctor is a Chinese woman trained for 20 years
under a master accupuncturist in China. She said in all those years she had
only seen PD healed once, after a very long and arduous treatment regimen.
Well, once is a BIG improvement over what we are seeing here, so we agreed
to start treatment.

She used a lot of needles in the head for the underlying malfunction, along
with other spots that only she understood. She treated my arm/hand tremor
with needles in my forearms, which caused excrutiating and barely endurable
pain, but was effective in reducing tremor in 2 week intervals. Since
accupuncture is generally pain-free, I wondered about the awful pain caused
by the arm treatment...she attributed it to the deeply chronic nature of PD.
She attempted to treat my leg/foot tremor and dystonia, but I could not
endure the pain. If you had asked me, I would have told you that I would
endure any amount of pain to be free of PD, but I was completely unable to
endure this anguish.

I guess I would try it again if things got a lot worse for me, but in the
mean time, no thanks. If you decide to give it a try, my advice is to go to
someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. Accupuncture is a complex
methodology that I don't think can be mastered in a few courses.

Good luck!

Kathie Tollifson
46/8