Billy B..

Ya know, Billy, I've noticed in several of your posts you've commented that
"You don't have to work,"  when referencing PD and all those of us who live
with the disease.

I don't know why you believe having PD automatically means someone doesn't
HAVE to work or doesn't WANT to work, but I feel you're WAY off-base with this
one.

I'm a single woman of 54 years (GULP!) <grin> who would have no other income
than SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance, which took me 3 years to get
due to "the system" dragging it's feet), in the amount of $516 a month, plus a
private LTD (long term disability) payment (until I'm aged 65) of $494 a
month.  Since the total amount is less than my mortgage, and because I like to
do things such as EAT, and drive a car, I  *absolutely MUST*  work!  And by
working full time, I automatically lose the SSDI payment, within 9 months of
my start-of-employment date (long since come and gone), and lose all but $100
per month of the LTD payment.

IN addition, when I've worked a total of 3 years, I'm also stripped of the
PRIVILEGE as well as the "official title" of being considered disabled by
SSDI, and if in the future I'm rendered unable to work again I must start the
qualifying procedure all over again... even tho all along I STILL have the
same CHRONIC degenerative neurological disease.

The ONLY way I'm able to have a decent paying full time job right now is
because I work out of my home, and can rest or go for med. treatment whenever
I need to.  This is because my employer is a online service and is up and
running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, thus enabling my to pick my own work
hours daily, depending upon how I feel physically.   It also means I work a 7
day-a-week work week, ALWAYS, which takes it's toll on me.

In addition to losing SSDI, if I'm still working 36 months after my employment
start-date, I will also lose my Medicare benefit, which means I'll be
out-of-pocket each month - IF I CAN GET private medical coverage  once again,
due to the PD. I'm currently using the services if Kaiser Permanante, an
outstanding (in my opinion) HMO, due to Medicare, and I'm not sure if they'd
take me on if I was off Medicare.  In addition, medical costs would rise
dramatically for me, because I"d have to pay about $175 a month, plus a $10
per visit co-payment.

Finally, Billy.... I not only HAVE to work, but I WANT to work... I feel
validated personally AND by the greater community by having an interesting,
unusual-for-a-woman, and decently paid job.  My personal pride and sense of
self-worth is battered enough by this damnable disease, since I've lost so
many individual, seemingly insignificant things which I'd formerly totally for
granted - such as the ability to handright, to drive whenever I WANT to,
instead of whenever I feel well enough to, to sleep comfortably, if at all
each nite, to think clearly and verbalize those thoughts succinctly as I used
be able to do, to metal "multi-task," to stay awake while sitting in a noisy
restaurant at 5:30 pm while dining with a bunch of friends, and much, much
more.

Barb Mallut