 On Sunday 20 April, Marjorie Moorefield wrote:

> Hi Brian and Allan,
> How about a little experiment?
> I don't know about MSWord or Windows 95,  but if Brian would change
> his to a .BMP instead of a .GIF everyone who has windows could open
> it.  I have a scanner and I can receive, and have rec'd Brian's charts,
> but other people without scanners seem to have problems with them.
> So Brian, could you save a new group of files as a .bmp?
> I'd like for more people to see your charts, they are very worthwhile.
> So far I'm staying inside my limit!!!!
>
> As Ever,
> Marjorie Moorefield,
> just another librarian, with PD
> 64/9

Hello Marjorie, I have just checked your suggestion of using the BMP format and it works fine with Windows 3.11, using the 'Paintbrush' Utility.

BUT - I have just spotted the fly in the ointment: A GIF file of CHART A
occupies 24.5K memory, and a BMP file of the same chart occupies 340K!! This
probably exceeds some peoples' allowance. I am sure that the 340K file will
crunch down to about 25K, but I don't possess a program to create ZIP files
(The one I have will only unzip files which have already been Zipped. I will
be back on this item in a day or two.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone selling a PKzip program which
will Compress files. I only have PK UNZIP for windows 3.11
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>