Dear Friends,
I have been largely a "lurker", but would like your input on the subject
of dystonia (or is it dyskinesia) and PD.  Would anyone who can say
please let me know if they ever experienced any episodes of dystonia or
freezing prior to going on sinemet?

My husband was diagnosed in late Jan. or early Feb. and recently
experienced an episode where the muscles of his hand, arm, chest, leg
and foot (all on the left) contracted and would not release for over a
minute.  There was significant tremor involved.  He was at his desk
when this occurred and was able to hobble to the door of his office to
try to get the attention of his secretary who, as it turned out, had
stepped into another office.   At that point, he felt that he might
"gray out," as he put it so decided to lie down on the floor until he
regained function, which he wasn't sure was going to happen.  It did and
he was left only with residual soreness in the muscles involved.

His neurologist at Ford Hospital in Detroit was out of town but the
doctor who was covering for him suggested that Art come in for tests.
He spent the night and all of the next day having thorough
workup--including all sorts of blood work, physical exams, an MRI, and
an EEG.  Their conclusion was dystonia and he has been placed on
Sinemet, though he is not yet up to a therapeutic dose, so has not been
able to see any appreciable results in the short time (now 4 days) that
he has been on it (25/100 two times daily and next week 25/100 three
times daily).

Naturally, he's terrified that this may happen again and is not
convinced that it was not vascular though he's been assured that it
isn't.

Would appreciate your input.  You may write me at the following address:
[log in to unmask] or send it via return mail to the listserv.

Thank you so much.

Barb Brock