> From: Wanda Banks <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: "Frozen shoulder"
> Date: Tuesday, 22 April 1997 2:07

> Has anyone else had a diagnosis of "frozen shoulder"?
> My question is ...is this familiar to anyone? ...Is a frozen shoulder
> a symptom of Parkinsons? Does anyone know any sucessful treatments for
> frozen shoulder?

Hi Gail,

I am not qualified to speak on the medical aspects.  But, due to the
limited (sometimes non-existent) degree of movement in PWP's, they often
maintain poor postural positions in bed, where those without the disorder
would turn over.  Often, the position is one with the torso supported on
the point of a shoulder.  There is nothing intrinsically  wrong with this,
just if it is maintained for long periods.

This can cause, over time, intense and lasting pain.  I, among others, find
that using a slightly higher pillow than I was used to, to lift the head,
and thereby take some of the pressure off the shoulder, is one answer.
Using a large "banana" pillow helps others.  Another aid is satin sheets,
or the new three-part cotton-satin-cotton sheets, to facilitate turning
over.  A relatively firm mattress (such as an orthopaedic mattress) also
helps.

If the cause of the problem is rotator-cuff syndrome, the above won't cure,
but may alleviate.  One clue as to whether this is the cause, is whether or
not the shoulder involved is on the side the sufferer prefers to sleep.

A treating doctor should (in my humble opinion) be informed that the
patient has PD, and "reminded" of the movement problems associated with it.
 Just as an aside, one GP told me that he had had one hour of PD, in five
hours of neurological disorders generally, in the whole of his initial
training.

Jim (57/12)