Hmmm... let's see if I can shed some light on this subject, 'cause after a 3
year battle with Social Security, I was 'awarded" my Soc. Sec. Disability
Insurance several years ago..  After I was "in the system," no further medical
tests were required of me.  I was required to report any employment where I
actually earned an income to SSDI.  Up to $500, or possibly $600 (can't recall
which is the correct figure) is considered to be ok to keep yourself on the
disabled list, and anything OVER that amount (whichever it is) makes you a
full-time returnee to the workforce, by SSDI standards.

I receive $100 a  month from a private LTD carrier while employed (it's higher
when I'm not working) and THAT carrier requires a statement from my physician
indicating my medical condition at the time.

With SSDI you ARE required to report employment, and there's a long, and
idiotic report needing to be filled out and returned to them.  You still
receive your SSDI benefits for 9 months after you begin employment, including,
if you have it (and I   do) Medicare benefits, the latter of which continue
for up to 36 month after your employment begins.  You are not forced to keep
working if your health declines nor are there any $$$ penalties against you if
you quit working.

IF you are still employed after 3 years, you are no longer considered
"disabled: by SSDI, and you must, if you are once again at some future date
unable to work due to your illness, you have to go thru the entire SSDI
procedure once again in order to get your SSDI benefits.

Regarding "improvements" in ones' health, no one asked me if I had a
pallidotomy, or any other improvement in my health, and I didn't rush out to
tell 'em about it.

Barb Mallut