        Carol:  I know this sounds expensive just for a trial, but I paid about
$40.00+ for a Ceramic Laundry Disc.  It was sold by Shakley.  I have used it
for the past four months.  I will quote, "the Turbo Plus Laundry Disc
naturally unlocks water's own solvency properties, you won't be exposed to
allergens such as phosphorous, perfumes, or dyes....Turbo plus...the only
product available that is laboratory proven to kill bacteria without harsh
chemicals, is now enhanced with a copper microfiber mesh....provides even
greater protection against bacteria...gentle on fafrics....cost effective  up
to 700 wash loads."

You DO need to use warm or hot water or use l teaspoon of Iteki(brnd name) for
cold water.  We have well water and that means iron in the water and over a
few months the cotton underwear  is discolored.  So I should use "IronOut" now
and then, I guess.  Anyway, we don't have the "itches" anymore and I have been
satisfied.  The clothes look as clean as they ever did.  Stains and heavily
soiled spots need to be pretreated.

Just an alternative.  Daphne cg for Bernie 71/7