Norma:

I was diagonosed a little under two years ago.  Although, I desperately
wanted a new job, I was reluctant to consider giving up the security and
benefits of my current job.  Well, my current job finally got to be too much
for me in terms of frustration.  So, I started looking seriously.  On Monday
of this week I got one job offer and I expect another one later this week.
Also, my current boss has offered me a promotion.  I am a fairly senior
level person and finding jobs (even in the telecommunications/computer)
industry is tough for us higher ups.  I really lucked out.  Here is some
interesting facts about the job market (at least in the Wash DC area):

1.  All three companies know about my PD and were not put off at all.  They
were curious about what accommodations may be necessary and were perfectly
willing to accommodate me (e.g., I need a laptop computer for taking notes
at meetings).

2.  One of the two new companies has no pre-existing conditions clauses in
either their Long Term Disability or Health care insurance.  In other words,
I am covered completely from day one.  The HR person explained to me that
since they are a small company in Virginia, they were forced into providing
this kind of coverage (I'm not complaining).

3.  In general, companies seem to have a pre-existing conditions clause for
both LTD and health that leaves a new employee uncovered anywhere from 0 to
12 months.  After that period, you are fully covered.  I believe it may be
important that you not have any lapses in your previous employer-provided
coverage over the preceding last 12 month period.

4.  In the US, there are new Federal regulations that take effect in July (I
think) that prohibit refusal of health insurance if you were covered previously.

BTW:  I had set a personal policy about revealing my condition.  If I talked
to a big company like Sprint, I did not plan to reveal my problem until
after I accepted a job.  For smaller companies, I planned to reveal the
condition after I got an offer letter but before I accepted.  Smaller
companies, I feel, may have legitimate reasons for discouraging someone with
PD from starting.  Finally, if I networked a job through a friend or
acquaintance, I felt duty-bound to tell them up front.

I talked to a lot of companies and received a lot of rejections. However,
even when I revealed my problem, I did not sense any hesitation because of
PD.  Keep in mind that my symptoms are not yet obvious to the amateur.

I think that I am very lucky to be in the computer industry in an area where
it is a sellers market for job-seekers.

                        Ron Reiner (49/2)