> From: Dwayne Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Response to Who Do You Tell
>
> I agree with Dennis Greene,but with a twist. Looking at it from the other
> side;
> most people are concerned, some just curious, and a few just can not
> handle anyone
> in mental or physical discomfort. In almost all cases I find it breaks
> the tension
> to be up front and say " I've got PD,this is why......I'm OK....sometimes
> you may
> see other symptoms ...etc."  After that they will approach more normally
> even if  I'm
> off.

I had worked in the Public Service for over twenty years.  When I was in
the early (undiagnosed) stages, I was dealt with very unsympathetically by
my Department, and by the Service in general.  When I was diagnosed, I was
"boarded out", in other words, a medical board recommended my discharge on
a five-eighths superannuation pension.

As this was barely above a hand-to mouth sum, I sought casual work, and
eventually (after being discharged by one employer as soon as the firm was
taken over by a foreign conglomerate), obtained a small amount of part-time
teaching, for which I have been very grateful.  It contributes a little
money, but more importantly, it helps me retain my sanity.  :-)

I tell my students, the first time I meet them, that I have PD, and that,
although they may see me stagger, or mumble a little, or whatever, I have
not had a "lost weekend", but instead am just having a medication "off"...
or then again, maybe not.
A bit of friendly laughter, and then we *all* forget about it, and, apart
from some genuine concern and offers of assistance "in extremis", it is not
raised again.  And that suits me just fine.

Only one cloud on the horizon:  because my "pension" is funded by a
contributory fund, I am not entitled to *any* social service assistance; no
help with medication, no lower fees, no travel assistance, etc., etc.  I
just have to tell myself I am a better person for having to stand on my own
two feet ( or ankles, or knees or, whatever bit happens to be working at
the time.)  :-)

Jim