From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange  On Behalf Of Ernie Peters
Sent:   Wednesday, April 30, 1997 10:28 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: No further appointments UK

Jean,

If this is true, I am appalled.

Mark, you say:

>Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the practice, but if you HAD to
>choose between attending a 25 YO and a >60 YO, other things being equal,
>who should get the higher priority?   Even so, I find it difficult to
>believe that  the neurologist  can (or is forced to) wash his hands of his
>elderly patients so callously.

I understand what you are saying Mark, but we should only accept this
principle when it is genuinely out of our control - ie, the sinking ship
with insufficient lifeboats scenario.

The situation described by Jean however, is NOT out of our control.  The
resources available for state medical care in any country are dependent on
two things only:

a)  The collective wealth of the country.

b)  The priority, in terms of funding by taxes, that the government gives it.

It is therefore the politicians (and to a certain extent the people who
elect them) who decide where to draw the line on state health care.  The
excuse I have heard often in this country is that the Health Service is a
bottomless pit into which one throws money.  Maybe, but if we have to limit
Neurologist consultations by age, ANY AGE, then the line has been drawn far
too low in my opinion.

By the way, I know it is only a word but, <grinning> I have several 60 year
old friends who would hate to be described as elderly.

Ernie. Aged 54 (six years to elderly). PD diag 3.4yrs.

Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>