Ah, what goes around comes around, eh?

I remember my father choking on his dinner when he heard me, in the
Sixties, use the expression "I"m screwed" for "I'm in trouble." Now,
like you, Rick, I find that I'm not bothered by "fuck," "goddam" and
the like, but will not allow "bitch" (or any other sexist or racist
word) to be within my earshot.

I find the kids around here to be quite inventive. They make up their
own terms (or at least they think they're original). "Dirt"
(as in "he's a dirt") is one. So is "Bite me." So, while my son
has yet to tell me to "fuck off," he has countered with "Bite me"
on occasion. Your daughters must have coined a few phrases themselves
- or could.

Then again, I have a colleague (good at policing racist/sexist
language in his teaching) who, after many drinks, calls all
his feminist friends "c__ts" (See, I can't even write it - I find it
so offensive). This issue is not exclusive to teenagers.

Lorri

Experience isn't something you go and get--it's a gift, and the only
requisite for receiving it is that you be open to it...Ursula Le Guin

Lorri Neilsen
Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway
Halifax, Nova Scotia CANADA B3M 2J6