Those of you at Inkshed 14 did some MOOing with some of us who weren't
able to come this year.  For those of us at home (or in cybercafes), it
was an overwhelminly positive experience.  We participated in "that ole
time Inkshed feeling" and enjoyed it a lot.

A few of us have been talking about what to do with the CASLL MOO now.
Marcy, Russ, Amanda, and I would like to MOO again.  Amanda has even
analysed the transcript from our last MOO and has good things to say
about some of the discussion threads.

So before Amanda flies off to the Learneds and the rest of us disappear
into gardens, holidays, etc., we'd like to get together at the CASLL
castle again.  We've decided to try meeting in the middle of the workday
to avoid disrupting family time.  So if you can, please join us in the
Ink Shed at CASLL's castle in the Connections MOO on Wed., May 28, at
12:00 CDT.  (We chose the time so it would be neither too early in the
west nor too late in the east.  Let me know if that time doesn't work
for you and we'll MOO again at another time.)

Connections home page is:

http://www.ucet.ufl.edu/~tari/connections/connections-home.html

If you don't have time to go there to read all the directions, I've
pasted some of them here:

Using telnet or your mud client, connect to this address:

connections.moo.mud.org 3333

When you've made the connection to the MOO, you'll see a screen that
says "Welcome to Connections," followed by other
information. If you don't see that, you're not there yet--try again!

 Once you're at the welcome screen, enter this:

      connect guest

When you get connected, you'll see the description of the Top of the Big
Hill, which is the room you start in.

When you've had enough time to admire the view from there, enter <walk
to CASLL>; from there, you can go straight to the Ink Shed (using the
<walk to> command), or stop in the courtyard for a rest and pick up a
cup of coffee on the way.

The MOOing experience is greatly enhanced by using a MOO client. Tari
(the programmer at Connections) recommends this site for information on
clients:

 http://www.cs.okstate.edu/~jds/mudfaq-p2.html

I downloaded my client (Pueblo) from the TUCOWS site, which is mirrored
all over the world.  It was simple to download, and it is not a large
program.

For those of you who are new to MOOing (or haven't tried it yet), please
don't be put off by the length of this message.  MOOing is fun, and can
result in some really worthwhile discussion.  Try it, you'll like it.

If you need a bit of help getting started, let me know.  I'm a newbie
myself, and if I can do it, anyone can!

See you at the Ink Shed.

Janice Freeman
Centre for Academic Writing