> From: Celia Jones <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Fugue state
> It's interesting to see that other PWP's have actually experienced this
> state and even given it a name as I thought it was a peculiar sort of
> behaviour only I had.
>
> This 'fugue' is most inconvenient when at times, before an appointment or
> going out somewhere, I get involved in some activity and can't stop even
> though I feel stressed knowing it's getting later and later, and I'm
> inevitably going to be very late.  This hyperactivity is also matched by
my
> tendancy at times not be able to get moving to get the most trivial but
> necessary things accomplished.

Not to be confused with Bach's Fugue in C Minor. :-)

A "fugue state" in its most extreme manifestation is a form of amnesia in
which the subject leaves their normal surroundings, and will lead an
"alternative" life, remembering nothing of the episode when returned to
their former state.  So say the experts.  Of course, I don't know one who
will state categorically that they know *all* about the human mind, let
alone about amnesia.

The hardest thing I find is explaining to my beloved carer that I was not
being wilful or obstinate, but just in a chemically induced state over
which I had no voluntary control.

I expect that the state may be more widespread among PWP's than anyone is
willing to admit, especially if one is still working, or has a driving
licence.  :-(

Remember that with PD medication we are dealing with fat soluble chemicals,
*some* part of which has an affinity with receptors in the brain.  It is
the other parts about which I has some doubts.  Then there are the other
mind-benders such as anti-depressants which many PWP's have prescribed.

My sincere apologies to my medical friends (especially those who are
fighting to keep me alive, well, and sane), but I tend to be just a
*little* wary of the "No known adverse reactions with other drugs" rider in
the pharmacopoeia!  Mix a handful of non-medical chemicals, some acid, some
alkaline, in a bath of hydrochloric acid (such as stomach juice), and I am
sure that most would say you are playing a very dangerous game.  But when
it comes to an elderly, distracted patient, especially one who may be going
to two or more doctors, often with each being unaware of the other's
prescriptions, and....

Stay well,

Jim