I  assume that you live in the midwest where people supposedly are more
apt to be kindly and tend to suspend judgement.  I never met Mr. Graham,
as I usualy eschew crowd behavior,and mass rallies.
 I never met  Lincoln, yet they tell me he suffered from profound
depression. But I have listened carefully to Mr. Graham, of late, and  I
think that I recognize  sypmtoms of depression (I spent 2 weeks in the
hospital for my depression). Does this devalue my objectivity,
benevolence or opinions?
 I said a Neurologist attributed Mr. Graham's remrks to chemical
depression. Such a remark may be  expected from a  person schooled in
pharmacology.
 An index of a person's  celebrity is often measureable in how many
books and articles are  written about him or her. Both  good and the
bad. Lincoln and Hitler are  still the subjects  of endess literature,
analysis and speculation. Why shouldd Mr. Graham be shielded from such
analysis? The Lutheran Catechism says we should put the most charitable
constructions on people's actions, as you graciously do. I tend to be
more critical. Someone wrote a message to me and said "Let the dance
begin (dialogue)".There is no dancing where there is no movement, either
physical, cerebral or of  intellectual thought.
I do agree that a preacher can turn people off by too many references to
himself, or his family.  Unless, perhaps, the examples have  universal
value.  It's good to think  about these   ethical issues. Being
naturally suspicious I wondered why the Rev. Robert Schuller was sitting
next to Mrs. Clinton during the State of the Nation Address?  An heir
appparent? To his credit, remember how intensely Mr. Schuller spoke
about his daughter's leg amputation. He personally and tactfully   dealt
with this family matter  in his sermons?  I'm sorry for thinking such
unkindly thoughts about Mr. Graham's lack of similar candor re: PD
Judy, thank you for your  kind response.