Richard Ruotolo wrote:

> Hello to all.
>
> I'm new to this list, so forgive me if I've not seen your FAQ.
>
> My questions regard screening for Parkinsons.
>
> --- How does one go about getting screened for PD?
>
> --- Might getting diagnosed as having PD have negative consequences with
> my health insurance, particulary as it might pertain to future
> employment?
>
> (i.e. coverage of expenses related to treatment of PD being disallowed
> as a pre-existing condition)
>
> --- Finally, in the screening process is family history of PD
> considered?  (both my dad and his dad were diagnosed with PD.)
>
> Thanks.

Welcome Richard,

There is no screaning test for PD.  In fact unless you do a brain biopsy
(I don't think you want to do that?!) there is no lab test (with the
possible exception of the PET scan Which is mainly used for research)
that can diagnose PD.  The diagnosis is made by history and physical
exam.

The diagnosis once on your record is devastating when you apply for any
insurance.  If you think you may have PD get disability coverage and
life coverage and possibly health care coverage if you don't get it
through your employer.  It is illegal for a job applicant to be asked
about his/her medical condition when applying for a job.  However if you
have obvious symptoms you may suddenly be "unqualified" for a job that
you were qualified for before they noted the symptom.

Depending on the health plan they may disallow a coverage for a
preexisting condition  but ususally especially with big companies this
is not a problem.

Parkinson's disease is not usually inherited but it is possible.

Good luck and I hope you don't need to stay with us (except for
curiosity ) .

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.